Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Busy as Bees Making... Applesauce...

Here are some recent pictures of my baby boy!



We had a VERY busy, exhausting week last week! Josh would stay at the woodshop after work each night for a couple hours to build us an entertainment center out of the scraps there. I had Quinn all to myself all week, and by the time Josh would get home each night, it was Quinn's bedtime... I felt like a single mom, and boy was I worn out! Josh was, too. He ended up getting sick he was so exhausted.

I want to point out how amazing my husband is! He designed this, made it out of solid maple, lacquered and glazed it, and did everything himself. He designed a bookcase on the one side because we needed another one. I think it looks amazing! And I've already decorated it for autumn, filled it in with my books and everything. The bottom shelf that is empty is for our photo albums and scrapbooks I need to pull out still (and put things in).

These are the handles we picked out. I think they work really really well with the wood finish. And the angle was a special touch of Josh's to make it unique.

And Josh is especially proud of the "v-groove" paneling. They aren't just boards stapled onto the side. They have a little dip between each board, adding depth to the design.

And he did it to the inside as well. He worked really hard on this for me! I love that man so much!



Then, Wednesday Quinn and I went to my parents' house to get help making and canning 15 quarts of applesauce. I had decided to do this when my Sister-in-law inherited 5 apple trees this year. I figured Quinn will be starting on solid foods in a couple months, and this would be the perfect food for him. I love applesauce, anyway. Also, we needed to start our food storage, since we haven't been able to do anything about it since we've been married. And then Saturday, I was going to can the peaches we had picked at my mother-in-law's house, but they were already too ripe. So I decided to make jam. However, I was all by my lonesome this time, and Quinn has been such a momma's boy and not allowing me to put him down (though I try all the time!), that I only got 1 quart of peach jam, 1 quart of apple/peach, 1 pint of apple jelly, and 1 quart of apple butter done. I decided I'm done for the year. No mas!


3 comments:

Greg said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Shantel said...

Wow, you've been busy! Nice catch in the pics! Your right, Brandon is going to school here, he is a 4th year dental student. He is on the admissions committee here, so he had the attend the white coat ceremony as well. It's been nice to live near him again, he comes over on Sundays for dinner, which is super fun.

The Gailey Family said...

I am so impressed with both of you .... canning and woodwork ... that's some hard work and what a little charater that Quinn is?