Saturday, February 6, 2010

Artsy Fartsy


This is Vanna Quinn, modeling both mine and Josh's newest pride and joy: the painting and frame behind Quinn. A couple months back when we rearranged Quinn's room/office, we ended up with a huge blank wall that needed...something. So we got a gross painting from DI, and I painted over it. We just wanted something simple, warm, and not too hard for me to do (I'm no Van Gough, by any stretch of the imagination). And since we both enjoy nature, I decided to paint different leaves... whatev. But then we didn't have a frame for it, and Josh wanted to make one, so it never got hung up. Then we rearranged Quinn's room... again, and the big blank wall is only a medium blank wall. The other day, I was sorta bored, so I found a way to hang up the painting without a frame. It fell the next day. Then Josh got called in to work at the woodshop for a day, so he stole the painting, and made a frame - without my knowledge. He came home 3 hours late, his phone had died, and I didn't know what was going on. I was rather nervous, and upset, hoping he hadn't gotten into an accident, and mad he never called to tell me he was going to be late. But then when he brought home this amazing frame he made from scratch... well, I couldn't be too mad at him... jerk... lol. But now, it looks too good to hide in our office. So I get to rearrange the pictures in the living room to put it in there :)

My painting before the frame, up on the wall:

The finished product my sweetheart brought home last night:

A close-up of the frame: It's made out of cherry and alder (which is painted black). It totally goes with my deco in the living room! I can't help but put in there now! (I have a wood and black theme going on):

The back. He designed it so that the back piece screws into the frame, leaving the painting untouched, but solidly in there.

Close up of the back:

For those of you who aren't sure, I'm going to tell you which leaf is what (I didn't make them up, I promise!)
Maple:

Aspen:

Dogwood:

Chestnut:

Sycamore:

Oak:

Quinn posing for me

Are we done yet, mom?

What are you looking at?

No comments: